Partnership for Strong Communities serves as the backbone organization for the HOMEConnecticut campaign. HOME Connecticut works to ensure everyone in Connecticut has access to safe, stable, accessible, and affordable housing in the community of their choice.
HOMEConnecticut is led by a broad-based Coordinating Committee and provides statewide convening around collective goals:
- Increasing rental assistance and investment in affordable housing
- Advancing housing quality, safety, and justice
- Removing barriers to affordable housing production
HOME Connecticut 2023 Legislative Priorities
We acknowledge the historic and ongoing role of systemic racism in creating and perpetuating inequitable housing outcomes. The policies outlined here work to expand housing choice in Connecticut and remove barriers to housing opportunity to advance more equitable outcomes.
HOMEConnecticut will advocate for the following during the 2023 session of the Connecticut General Assembly:
- Increase Investments in Housing Stability – add additional $72 million allocation in both FY 24 & 25 to the DOH Housing/Homeless Services budget line to expand the general Rental Assistance Program (RAP) and add $5 million to the DOH Housing/Homeless Services line for housing navigation and mobility services to assist voucher recipients with finding homes.
- Build More Affordable Homes – Increase FY24/25 bond authorizations to $150 million for the Housing FLEX Fund and $75 million for the Housing Trust Fund.
- Advance Housing Quality and Safety – Create a $5 million pilot program to support additional housing inspection capacity and enforcement in municipalities with a proactive residential rental licensing or inspection program that require regular inspections without the need for tenants’ complaints and ensure landlords’ compliance with local health and housing code ordinances.
- Prevent Weakening of Existing Affordable Housing Law – The Affordable Housing Appeals Procedure (Section 8-30g), is a crucial component of affordable housing development in Connecticut.
- Zoning and Housing Development- read our values on zoning and housing development in the full HOMEConnecticut 2023 Legislative Agenda
Sign up for action alerts and advocacy updates here.
THE STRUGGLE TO AFFORD HOUSING CONNECTICUT’S HOUSING WAGE 2023 Changes in the economy, household formation, inflation, and wage stagnation leave many in Connecticut struggling to afford