National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF)

Fund Administrator
Program Status
Program Description

National Housing Trust Fund is a federal block grant program used for the production, preservation, rehabilitation, or operation of affordable rental housing. 75% of all HTF dollars must serve extremely low-income households.

Program Type
Type of Funding
Source of Funds
Federal block grant,, via an assessment of 4.2 basis points (0.042 percent) on new business transactions of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which is subsequently transferred to HUD to fund the NHTF. (not subject to annual appropriations)
Funding Amounts/Limits

Range dependent on bedroom size and whether elevator-type projects (larger buildings) or not. For elevator-type projects, ranges from $72K for a studio to $142K for a four-bedroom. For non-elevator-type projects, maximum ranges from $173K for a studio to $342K for a four-bedroom.

Target Population(s)

The NHTF is primarily intended to assist in addressing the housing needs of extremely low-income renter households. Extremely low-income renters (“ELI”) is defined as households with income of less than 30% of the area median income (AMI) or income less than the federal poverty line.

Links to Additional Resources

    Eligibility

    Eligible Project Size
    Other Eligibility Guidelines

    The statute appears to require that at least 90 percent of the funds be utilized to build, rehabilitate, preserve, or operate rental housing; however, HUD guidance sets the minimum at 80 percent. A minimum of 75 percent of the funds are required to be used for rental housing that benefits extremely low-income households and the remaining 25 percent may be utilized for housing for very low-income households.

    Application

    Application Timeline
    Overview of Application Process

    Additional Information

    Other Notes

    DOH will make determinations with priority given to activities in higher opportunity areas and for projects with a firm commitment for project-based rental assistance program partnerships. Prioritization will also be given to projects that incorporate sustainable development standards and are mixed-income developments. Applicant capacity is a strong consideration. Must be affordable for at least 30 years, preferred 35+.

    Because federal, must comply with federal requirements. Housing with 12+ units must comply with Davis-Bacon Act.

    Last Updated
    June 6, 2024
    Share the Post: