HOME Investment Partnerships Program

Program Description

Federal block grant program administered by the state and designed to create affordable housing for low and moderate-income households. Purposes include: provide quality, affordable housing for Connecticut residents; strengthen communities; expand the capacity of non-profit housing development organizations; and leverage private sector participation. Eligible uses include rehabilitation, new construction, demolition, American Dream Down Payment Initiative, homeownership, rental housing, relocation, pre-development loans, operating expenses (CHDOs only, see HOME – CHDO Funding program), and homebuyer education.

Program Type
Type of Funding
Source of Funds
Federal block grant (subject to annual federal appropriations)
Funding Amounts/Limits

60 percent of the HOME funding is appropriated by Congress to local governments and consortia on an annual basis and the remaining 40 percent is allocated to states, including Connecticut. Connecticut’s participating jurisdictions include Bridgeport, Hartford, New Britain, New Haven, Stamford and Waterbury.

Target Population(s)

Households with income less than 80 percent AMI. When utilized to assist renters, a total of 90 percent of a jurisdiction’s HOME-assisted rental units must be occupied by households with income less than 60 percent
AMI.

Links to Additional Resources

Eligibility

Other Eligibility Guidelines

Must meet applicable federal regulations, including:

  • Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
  • Affirmative Marketing
  • Handicapped Accessibility Labor
  • Section 504
  • Davis-Bacon Act
  • Labor Standards
  • Procurement
  • Relocation
  • Environmental Requirements
  • Section 3 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968
  • Minority/Women’s Business Enterprise
  • Lead-Based Paint Requirements

Application

Application Timeline

Annual

Overview of Application Process

Applicants complete DOH/CHFA Consolidated Application.
Community Housing Development Organizations (CHDOs): nonprofits can apply for CHDO status with DOH. CHDOs must be organized under State and local law, meet the board composition requirements, have a history of serving a specified geographic area (not the whole State), and meet the capacity and experience requirements.

Additional Information

Other Notes
Last Updated
June 6, 2024
Share the Post: